Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Our new home in Colorado Springs!



As some of you all know we found a house yesterday in the Springs! God certainly covered our backs in this series of events. First of all, it is amazing that I even found this house as I wasn’t officially looking but just sat down to relax in between our church service and a graduation party. We were planning on beginning our housing search next week and then we would set up appointments and spend 2-3 days in Colorado Springs looking at houses and trying to lock something down. Scanning the on-line postings prior to our ability to plan a visit in the Springs was somewhat counterproductive but I simply wanted to relax and see what was out there for early July.

As I was sitting on Chan’s comfy recliner with my laptop surfing through house listings one home in particular caught my eye. It advertised 1/3 acre with fruit trees and garden space! Given our family history of flower and vegetable gardening I was instantly thrilled at the description of this home! I looked through the photos and description and was delighted that they allowed pets but not only pets but specifically cats! Having Sally in our family has been a very difficult aspect of our finding a rental home. Most places do NOT allow pets at all and when a property manager does allow pets it is typically only one dog. Poor Sally has been rejected by home owners countless times despite her sweet disposition and very clean toilet habits. When I saw that this home actually welcomed cats it was a huge plus in my mind.
I sent a quick e-mail inquiry regarding the house, closed my laptop and got ready for Hannah’s graduation. Yet, I couldn’t get this house off of my mind. When we got home in the evening, I had a response from the home owner. Monday morning I called him and set up and appointment in Colorado Springs for Tuesday at 11:00 am.
We got to the Springs early so that we could drive by the house prior to the showing. I tend to get distracted when someone is showing me a house. So it was helpful to get a good feel for the home before I was involved in a conversation with the landlord. We instantly loved the neighborhood, the yard, and the trees in the back. When Morty, the home owner arrived we quickly connected very pleasantly with him.

The house is a split entry, which in itself would NOT be something that we would choose. Yet, it is a beautiful house that will make a good home for our family despite the weird 70s split entry design. There are 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and an office! It is perfect!!! The kitchen is a nice size with beautiful marble counters and brand new appliances. And of course the land is perfect for us. It is so peaceful and private.

Morty walked by the resident cat of the current tenants and said, “We love cats!” This was pleasantly shocking to me as finding a rental with a cat has been nearly impossible. I even had one property manager say, “I HATE cats!” and then he corrected himself and tried to cover over what he just said but needless to say that our little Sally has complicated this house hunting process!

Nathaniel, Bethany and I had a few seconds to talk privately and all said that we loved it. So I approached Morty and told him that we were very interested, what should we do next? He got me a lease application and then called his wife to set up a lunch appointment to get to know her. This all suits Nathaniel, Bethany and me so much more than the impersonal aspect of a property management company. I filled out the application and then we followed Morty to the west side of town where we were meeting his wife Diane for lunch. We all ate lunch together and got to know one another. They are a very friendly couple who is easy to talk with and a joy to get to know. By the time lunch was finished we were signing a lease and paying for the deposit without any mention of references (our rental references are in Mexico which has made this whole process very difficult!) credit checks (my credit is lousy because of our short sale and my limited credit as a single person.) or calling our character references. (Which would be great but time consuming).
 

God really orchestrated the open doors of this meeting from start to finish. Everything went so smoothly and it was clearly God’s timing and God’s choice for a house for our family. Morty and Diane also shared that they typically wait for a tenant to move out of a property before advertising it. Diane wanted to wait until the beginning of July to advertise the house but Morty said, “Why don’t we list it now, you never know when someone might rent it even when it is occupied with someone else’s belongings.” If they had waited we never would have found it! Also, it is amazing that I was even looking for a house on Sunday afternoon. It just wasn’t the “right” time for me to be doing this. Had I not looked it would have been rented as they had many calls and inquiries about it.
We will be moving in on July 1st which is less than three weeks from the one year anniversary of Gary's death. God has been so faithful to carry us through this very tragic and difficult time.


God’s fingerprints were all over finding this house and we are eternally grateful for his provision.

Isaiah 43:18-19


 “Remember not the former things,
    nor consider the things of old.
 Behold, I am doing a new thing;
    now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
I will make a way in the wilderness
    and rivers in the desert."



 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rachel
    Congratulations on your new house. I'm very happy to hear this. Best of luck as you move.
    Gry

    ReplyDelete